Saturday, October 9, 2010

I'm Still Standing!

Whew! I wasn't always sure I was going to survive the month of September, but I did it! And all in all, it went fairly well!

The big thing was Business Week. We had a great team assembled to help us pull it off. I met a lot of great people and had a blast on much less sleep than I'm used to. It went so well though. The big event that I was heavily involved in was the BBQ and benefit concert on Monday night of that week. Originally we had planned to have the concert on the quad, but it was under some pretty heavy construction and in addition to being noisy, it just didn't look very good. So we moved the concert to Old Main Hill. I honestly think that worked better anyway. We had Texas Roadhouse providing sandwiches for a dollar a piece. Half went to cover their costs and half went to us to donate to Huntsman Cancer Institute. Erin, Dave, and I spent the better part of the afternoon rounding up last minute supplies. We had to run to Lowe's to get stakes to make lines for the food, and we dragged probably somewhere around 800 cans of pop out of USU catering into Dave's car and onto the hill. I had to make a mad dash to the grocery store to get Dasani water for the performers because all we had was Nestle Pure Life and Coke would have our hides if we provided anything but Dasani. Then Texas Roadhouse ran out of food and there was still a massive line (as you can see from the pictures) so Dave and I sprinted to Domino's to get pizza. I heard about two minutes of the actual concert but it sounded good. People told me it was a good one.
Tuesday was a relay race. Adam and I worked the water station at mile 3, so we didn't have to be there very late. Wednesday was a dinner at Hamilton's Steak and Seafood (pretty good food) and Dave Finnigan, the CIO of Build-a-Bear spoke. He's a USU alumnus and it was pretty interesting to listen to him. He talked about branding yourself and making sure you represent yourself the way you want to be seen. Thursday morning came bright and early for the Student Alumni Golf Tournament. A few of us drove around on golf carts putting signs by the holes and it was so dang cold! I was shivering. I was at the breakfast table highly promoting the delicious Great Harvest cinnamon roles so that was fun. I got to talk to a lot of fun people. That afternoon Dr. Covey spoke to both one of my classes and in a Dean's Convocation. The convocation was broadcast throughout the business school because they were worried about space constraints so I was put in charge of the OC Tanner Lounge on the 9th floor. There were comfortable couches. I wasn't going to complain. That evening was the Awards Banquet that Skyler, our Business Senator, begged and pleaded to get Business Council invited to. Technically we're not supposed to go since we're not scholarship recipients but because we worked our butts off on Business Week, he wanted us there when we presented Mr. Huntsman with the check of the money we'd raised for the Huntsman Cancer Institute. There were five of us at our table from Business Council and five from Sigma Chi, who also raises money for Huntsman Cancer and had actually provided a ton of man power to help us out. Ultimately, we ended up raising $9000 for the Huntsman Cancer Institute, but that's a pretty conservative number. We're sure it's over that. Not bad for our first year!

Friday was the USU BYU football game, but I wanted to get the heck out of town. I was so exhausted. It was great to go home and see my family and be around for Dad's birthday. We went to PF Chang's for lunch on Saturday and that is one of my favorite places ever. But listen to me ramble... the important part of this paragraph is that USU KILLED BYU IN FOOTBALL!!!! Ladies and gentlemen, I think USU may finally be getting their acts together. Yes, BYU is in a transition period and has a young, inexperienced team, but that day, at that game, BYU lost. USU won. This is huge! I loved watching my Aggies kick BYU booty on ESPN from the comfort of my parents' living room. It absolutely warmed my heart to see our fans climb over the railing and onto the field. My roommate's boyfriend helps train the team and he said that security for the game was mostly just concerned about keeping people away from the goalposts since in 1993 (the last time USU beat BYU) students cut those down or something and they're pretty expensive to replace.

Classes are going well. I've spent the last several days working on a paper and doing homework until I'm ready to gouge out my eyes. I think that's what I'll be doing most of today as well. It's all good though; school is what I am here for. Also, basketball season starts three weeks from today.... YES!!!

No comments: