Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here we go again...

Well, it's here again. In some ways this last summer has been the longest of my entire life and in others I can't believe it's over! It has actually been the longest summer I've ever had; I've been home for just shy of four months. That's a third of the year. Isn't summer technically only a fourth of the year? Whatever. The last couple of weeks have flown by.
It's been a whirlwind getting down to Logan again. With the help of my wonderful moving crew (a.k.a. Mom, Dad, and Lindsay) I'm finally moved into my new apartment and pretty much settled. We drove to Logan on Friday morning and moved stuff out of my car and my parents' Tahoe into my apartment. Then we headed to Hyrum to pick up stuff from "Grandma Adams'" home. Grandma Adams is my uncle's mom and she was kind enough to let me store stuff in her basement and garage. I hadn't planned on staying in Boise the entire summer, but she let me leave stuff the entire time anyway. It was a good thing that we took both cars there because we definitely needed them to haul out all of that stuff! I'm amazed I managed packing it there myself in the spring! I think Dad was quite impressed that I managed to get my fridge into the garage by myself. It was certainly faster getting it out with his help this time. Saturday morning we had to make a Walmart trip to get some extra supplies and food. I had to get a desk chair for my new desk that Dad oh so willingly assembled. (Thanks Daddy, I know how much you hate doing that kind of stuff...) With my helpers, we managed to get my room entirely put together yesterday. I was so glad when it was done. It was a huge job, but it feels pretty homey now. The family left me this morning. I always hate saying goodbye but I'm so excited for this year to start.
There's a little hallway entry into my room. I keep my fridge, microwave and a shelf there.
My missionary map is in my entry hall as well.
This is what my room looks like from the entry hall.You can kinda see my dresser and bed.Don't be weirded out... There are mirror doors. That's why you're seeing double.I have pictures on my desk. Big surprise. And a bunch of senior pictures on the wall.
When I was growing up, Mom and Dad tried making a list of chores for me to put on my wall so I remembered them. I insisted that I absolutely detested lists, but in hindsight it was probably that I just didn't want to be reminded of the chores I had to do and had no desire to accomplish. So, in that light, let me make a list of my favorite things about my new apartment:
1. My roommates. This year is going to be great. Stacey, Natalie, Shana, Megan, and Kristin are going to be fantastic roomies. It's going to so fun.
2. The size of my room. If you look back at my August 2008 blog posts you'll see that my room last year was absolutely minuscule. That is not a problem this year. I have plenty of room. I can even sit at my desk while people are moving in and out of my room. That was not possible last year.
3. My own bathroom. It's just so much easier to have my own bathroom. Everyone here has their own, so that means we all clean our own and buy our own toilet paper. That simplifies life a ton.

It's tiny, but it's going to work just fine.
4. Laundry. There is a washer and dryer in my apartment. That means I don't have to use a laundromat. 'Nough said.
5. A window in the living room. It sounds like a weird thing to be so excited about, but there wasn't a window in the living room of my dorm last year. It was great to watch movies, but it got a little depressing sometimes. I love that there is natural light throughout the apartment.
And just wrapping this up, let me make a list of things I forgot about Logan, Utah.
1. Traffic. It's a small town, but there are still many cars. Main Street is a nightmare. There are protected turn signals, but they are rarely on. That means that one car gets to turn left per rotation and it's usually on a completely red light. This is normal.
2. Chapped lips. The elevation really dries out my skin and my lips in particular. Glad I have True Aggie Chapstick.
3. Thin air. Speaking of elevation, I'm really not atrociously out of shape. The reason I'm huffing and puffing on my way to class is because Logan is so much higher in elevation than Boise. There just isn't enough oxygen up here!
4. Football. We know that our football has had some struggles as of late. We still love it. We have high hopes for our new coach. Maybe I'll even go to more than two games this year.
5. Basketball. It's religion around this place. The schedule was released a little while ago. People are getting excited about it already. It's gonna be big.
Love,
Carlie

No comments: