Yes, I have things under control, but that doesn't mean that things have slowed down any! It's all good though. I like being busy.
I forgot to mention that I went to the African Children's Choir in my last blog update. It was my favorite performance that I've been to since school started. I had to go for my Creative Arts class. It was amazing. These children were kids from the most desperate situations in Africa. Most of them were orphans. I was amazed at their hopeful attitudes and incredible talent. They were all between eight and eleven years old. The program that sponsors the choir educates the kids and makes sure they can pay for college if that's what they want to do in the future. It's an awesome program. I loved hearing them sing and watching them perform traditional dances from their native countries like Uganda and Sudan.
Last weekend I made a quick trip to Sandy to visit Aunt Elaine and her family. It was so good get out of the dorm for a few days and
get some different scenery. I got to leave early Friday morning since my classes were cancelled for the day. I met Aunt Elaine and Grandma Vance in Sandy at Olive Garden for lunch. We took Grandma back to her place so I could see where she lives. It is the cutest place! It's really nice. Her room is cute too. She's able to have her own furniture, which makes it feel more like home. After that I ran to South Towne mall to get some boots since mine were starting to seriously show some wear. I also grabbed a new black skirt, which I was in serious need of. My old one was five years old; it was my choir skirt in eighth grade. It held up for several years, but it's seen its last days and it's time to retire. Friday night was so nice; we didn't do a whole lot, but it was so fun to just hang out and relax. On Saturday Aunt Elaine invited Grandma, Uncle Lionel, Aunt Oma, Aunt Lynn and her son Gary to her house for lunch. It was so fun since it had been a while since Grandma had seen her brother and sisters-in-law. Lunch was delicious, as usual for Aunt Elaine's cooking. It was amazing. She made cherry pie, which is my favorite. It was awesome. Saturday night after everyone went back to their homes Aunt Elaine, Uncle Ken, Brian and I met up with Josh and Mandy to see "Quantum of Solace." I actually kind of liked it. The ending was kind of lame, which is usual for James Bond movies, but on the whole I liked it. Sunday I went to church with Aunt Elaine and her family. I had to get headed back to Logan pretty soon after church since it gets dark here so stinkin' early and I really didn't want to go through Sardine Canyon in the dark. I made it back by about 4:30, which wasn't too bad.

This is the apron that my mom made Aunt Elaine for her birthday... it was so cute!
This week school was pretty easy. We watched "Les Choristes" in Creative Arts, which was actually a really good movie. I was surprised. It was in French so we had to watch the whole thing with subtitles. I really didn't have many assignments due this week which was kind of a nice change. I have a couple of papers I need to write before Thanksgiving break this week. I was supposed to have a statistics quiz this week, but it was cancelled. I was so excited! My professor cracked me up. He said it was cancelled due to "a lack of excitement." He said he felt no excitement about writing the quiz, the lab instructors felt no excitement about grading the quiz, and most importantly, he felt like the class had no excitement about taking the quiz. If we'd known he felt that way, I think we would have demonstrated a much more intense lack of excitement much sooner in the semester. That means that all I have left in there is the final, which I think I can handle.
This weekend has been way fun. Stacey and I went up with Richard to his friend Travis's cabin at Bear Lake. At most there were eight of us there. One of Travis's roommates, Mike, came, and then three girls from Building E came up later. We got to Bear Lake at about six on Friday night. It was soooo stinkin' cold up there!!! I knew it was going to be cold, but I didn't quite comprehend the level of frigidness that would exist. The cabin had already been winterized, so there wasn't any heat or running water. It was definitely an experience! The boys went down to the lake to get water in buckets so that we had enough to flush the toilets. It was definitely interesting.
It was actually warmer to sit by the fire outside than it was to sit inside until the fire really got going. We were outside until about 9:00. By the time we went in, it was so nice and warm inside. The table was by the fireplace so at least it was warm. We played a couple of rounds of Cranium, which produced some laughs. First round was girls against guys and the girls dominated. There were a couple of clues that I'm not really sure how we got them right, but we did. The second round Stacey and Richard won. They had some way funny clues. We watched "Get Smart" before we all fell asleep last night. We just stayed downstairs in the family room since that was where the fire was. It was way too cold upstairs. Most of us managed to stay awake through that, but by the time "21" started, we all fell asleep. I heard someone get up and turn the DVD off, but I don't know what time it was or who actually turned it off, but I was out cold. When I woke up this morning at about 6:00, the fire had gone out and it was freezing in there! It was so cold! I was glad I had several blankets so I didn't freeze
too badly. Someone got up and made a fire at about 8:30, which I was quite grateful for. At like 10:30 we went outside; it was so pretty out there. The lake was gorgeous. It was definitely cold, but it was pretty. Travis brought out his motorcycle and some go-cart thingy. We road them down by the lake. It would have been more fun if it wasn't so frigid that we couldn't feel our fingers, but itwas still fun. We pulled out around noon so we could get back and do homework. I got a paper written and some chemistry studied for. I have an exam on Monday morning, but that's all I've got for the day. I have a few things due this week, but for the most part it will be pretty easy. I'll go to Sandy on Wednesday morning and wait for the rest of my family to meet me there. I'm so excited! It'll be so good to see them again! :)
Carlie
1 comment:
I love Les Choristes. We watched it in our French class last year. And when I went to the doctor's office one time they had one of the songs playing over the speakers and the staff were impressed I actually knew where it was from :)
Post a Comment