Saturday, April 4, 2009

January in Review

Ok ok ok... I know I haven't updated this in a really long time. This semester has kicked my tail, but today I'm going to try to get this caught up.

I really got started in on my business classes this semester. Accounting hasn't given me much trouble. Business Communication hasn't been too bad either. Economics has been a struggle to say the least. I'm not very good at it, and it's been a pain. I'm taking my last English class I'll ever have to take. That certainly hasn't made me sad. It's not one of my favorite subjects. I'm also taking an honors class that is required for the honors program. The class only meets once a week and it hasn't been too bad, but it is a lot of work for just one credit. We had to read the book "Positive Leadership" which I actually really liked. It was an easy read and had some really interesting points. We also had to read "The Future and Its Enemies," which was definitely not bedtime reading. It was so heavy that I had to really focus while I was reading it to be able to understand what was going on. Although it was somewhat interesting, it was so hard to get through that I wouldn't really recommend it unless you want to confuse yourself.

The highlight of January for me was the Utah State basketball games! It was a total blast! I loved going to as many of them as I could and screaming myself hoarse with the rest of the students in the Spectrum. My favorite game of the year was the Fresno State game on January 15. It was so close and we were all going nuts by the end of it. The second best game was versus Nevada on January 29. That was the loudest I had ever heard the Spectrum. We were on a 17-0 scoring spurt that was absolutely incredible. We were all jumping up and down screaming, even the non-student sections of the Spectrum. The game wasn't as close as the Fresno one, but the energy in the arena was amazing. I was on a student panel for high school seniors checking out USU and someone asked what the best parts of USU were. I was sitting next to a professor who was going on and on about the great academics and opportunities the school offers. When it was my turn, I said, "Mine has nothing to do with academia. The best part of USU is Aggie basketball games." The professor started laughing and said, "Ok, she has a point." :)

Kristin, Stacey and me at the Boise State game on January 17

A small portion of the student section on January 17

Over MLK weekend, I went back to Boise. I hadn't been gone long; the break was two weeks after school started up again. It was fun to just hang out and relax for the a few days. I went to my friend Ryan's missionary farewell. I can't believe so many of them are leaving on their missions! I guess I'm that age though. Lots of engagements and missionary farewells nowadays.

At the end of January I went to Sandy to spend some time with Aunt Elaine and Grandma Vance. I found out that Grandma Pat and Grandpa Ed were moving Grandma Nanny into a new assisted living center in American Fork close to Aunt Megan, so I met Grandma Pat and Grandpa Ed for breakfast on that Saturday morning. Aunt Megan, Tyler, and Kyle came with us to grab some food. Afterwards we went to see Grandma Nanny's place. I was really pleased with how nice it was. It was a lot bigger than her room in Evanston and now she is closer to family. After that I headed back to Sandy to pick up Grandma Vance and take her to Aunt Elaine's house. Unfortunately, I got stuck in traffic for an hour and a half between two exits because of an accident. It took me that long to get from 10600 S to 90 S. I was getting a little irritated by the end of that.
At Grandma Nanny's assisted living center

After breakfast at Denny's

So that was pretty much the sum of January.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it was cold. And it snowed. A lot.

Lots of love and Maple Nut Aggie Ice Cream,
Carlie

No comments: