I have this thing where I really like to be right. I think I know what I'm doing and I will only occasionally listen to advice. Have you ever noticed how 99.999999999999999% of the time your mom is right? This is one of those times I should have just listened to her.
I worked out my schedule to just about how I wanted to it. I had 17 credits, which is a lot, but there were 15 credits of real classes, which is what I like, and 1 credit of billiards and 1 credit of Arts Symposium, which will satisfy my Depth Humanities credit. I'll just attend a few performances and write a few papers. To graduate, I need 2 credits of Depth Humanities. I bumped up the credit count to 2 for that class, figuring I might as well knock it all out at once. Well, that put me at 18 credits. Still, only 15 of them are "real" classes. Mom told me I should probably think about taking even 17 credits, but what's one more, right? Then I got my books and class syllabuses. Oh dear. The books for my Environment and Society class will make a much more effective stepping stool than a phone book and the combination of the other books probably means I'll have to drive through the trucking weigh station on my way back to Boise. The scale was tipped. I decided I just couldn't handle it. I dropped my marketing class and will take it in the summer via independent study with a different professor. I've talked to some people who did it that way and said it worked out just fine. Life is looking quite a bit more pleasant now that I'm back to 15 credits and not taking a class I don't think I was going to like very much.
Mom was right. There is no way in heck I can handle 18 credits, even if 3 of them barely count. My mom is too much of a sweetheart to ever say it, but she should so let's pretend like she did:
Moral of the story: Always listen to your mother. Even if she wants you to eat your vegetables.

No comments:
Post a Comment