This semester I am taking a pool class; not the swimming kind, the kind with pool tables, cue sticks, and chalk. It's been about seven weeks, and I'm still not very good, but I am definitely improving. I still rank as one of the worst players in the class, but I'm totally ok with it.
On my way to class today, I was talking to my friend, John, and he asked if I was a pool shark. I told him that I'm not, but since that conversation, my status has improved from pool sea plankton to pool minnow. We started our nine ball tournament. Our eight ball tournament ended a couple weeks ago and I was out after the second round, winning only one game by a complete fluke. For the opening round of our nine ball tournament, I was paired with the winner of the eight ball tournament, a scruffy, raspy-voiced old guy that's been playing pool for the last forty years in bars and bowling alleys across America. I figured it'd be a blow out and I'd be out in five minutes. I won the first game. Yes, you read that correctly. I won the first game. The second game, I was lined up with ball in hand for the final shot that would have had me winning the game, and I missed it. Just barely. He ended up winning that game. He was getting extremely nervous that he was going to "have to forfeit his bragging rights." The third game was over fairly quickly and he slaughtered me, but I can still say that I beat him in the first game and almost had him the second time.
My next line up was with a kid that's actually pretty good. He lost to one of the other girls in the class and I really think he was just having an off day. It must have been a really off day: I beat him twice in a row. That means that not only am I not out of the tournament on the first or second round, it means that I'm still in it! I'm stunned. I better have my game face for Thursday...
On a completely unrelated note, I played the grand piano in the Joseph Smith Lounge at the institute for a full hour today. I brought some music back with me a couple weeks ago and just played for a while. It felt so good. I wish I could afford a piano and fit one in my apartment.

No comments:
Post a Comment