Monday, September 29, 2008

September 29, 2008

Well folks, it's now officially my season! I love fall! There have been some exciting things already this season!

I guess I have to start a while back since it's been so long since I've written. On the 20, Stacey and I went to "Nunsense." It wasn't as funny as I expected, but I did get a few good giggles once in a while. The playwright came to our class and it was really interesting to hear him speak. He certainly had a good sense of humor that was evident in his script. Sally Struthers played Mother Superior and she was pretty darn hilarious. There was a scene where she was acting like she was on drugs that had the whole audience laughing pretty hard. We didn't make it out of the play in time to go to the football game, but believe it or not USU actually won! It's the first time we've won a game in two years! I'm pretty impressed! I heard it was like watching a pretty good high school game. Haha. Well, we'll take whatever we can get I suppose. That night Stacey suggested a "Lord of the Rings" marathon since she'd never seen them before. We got through one and a half of them that night, which was pretty good considering all three of the movies are over three hours long. I think she finally finished them on Tuesday night; had to pace ourselves, ya know! Church the next day was pretty normal. Nothing too exciting. My R.A. taught the Sunday School lesson and did a fantastic job. It was one of the best Sunday School lessons I'd been to in a while.


Monday night Stacey and I went to the East Village Opera Company. They're a classical crossover group, kind of like Josh Groban. They take classical music, opera, and turn it into a more rock type sound. It was actually pretty good! I was a little skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised. The sound system didn't work that well, so at first you couldn't even hear the singers, but it was still pretty good. Their guitarist and drummer were both really good! The only major complaint I had was that it was in this gorgeous hall that really wasn't condusive to rock music. Besides just the acoustical issues, the whole setting just really wasn't that good for a rock concert. I think the audience would have been more involved and enjoyed it more if it had been in the Stadium, for example.


Academically, this last week was a pretty big one. I got another 100% on my statistics quiz, which is awesome. I now have a 98% in the class. Woo hoo!!! I can't believe it! I had to turn in my first major paper in my Race Relations class, which was a good job to have done. It wasn't that hard, but it was kind of intimidating trying to get everything done for it. It was so cool this week though! For Race Relations, we went to Dr. Eastmond's home on Tuesday night. He had a friend from South Africa staying at his house and since he wouldn't be around at any of our class times, we cancelled regular class that day and went to his house that evening. It was incredible! Jacques du Plessey is a white Afrikaans man who currently teaches at a university in Michigan. Since the whole class is about race and communication issues, he talked to us for an hour and a half about his native South Africa and the issues the country is facing. It was fascinating! To be able to hear about the politics and issues from a native of the country was even more intersting than reading about it or hearing it from American Dr. Eastmond's perspective. He talked about how in a lot of ways apartheid has been reversed and now white men in particular, but to some degree white women as well, have extremely difficult times getting jobs. Some in the black community feel it is just to treat whites the same way their predecessors were treated. Jacques pointed out that habits were forming because of this and it would be difficult to get the South African psyche to change once whites had been treated that way for so long. He also mentioned that the younger generations really aren't the ones with the issues, it's mostly the older people. However, because the older generation is still in control, the younger ones are learning to behave in much the same way, which isn't doing the country any favors. Dr. Eastmond's wife made us fresh peach smoothies that were SO delicious! Between the treats and the talking, it was such a good night!


Friday morning I didn't have class until 11 because Dr. Peterson cancelled Creative Arts. I certainly wasn't complaining! It was good to get to sleep in. Mom called at 8:30 and I guess I answered and talked to her but I don't remember doing that at all, which is a little scary. I guess I was just sleeping really hard! I called her back later that morning and she said that I certainly sounded funny on the phone. Woops! After my stats class on Friday, I jumped in the car and headed to Sandy to see my aunt and her family. It was so good to get out of Logan for a little while. I really do like it here, but I was ready for a change of scenery for a while. Sardine Canyon was absolutely beautiful. The colors were even more vibrant than they had been the week before when I drove through with Grandma Pat and Grandpa Ed. It was gorgeous! I managed Salt Lake traffic ok; not too many problems, thankfully. That night Aunt Elaine and I met Mandy and Josh at Goodwood for dinner. I loved it! There isn't a Goodwood in Logan and that's one of my favorite places! The whole weekend was just great. It was so good to see Aunt Elaine and her family. Saturday afternoon we went to the Pizza Factory which has fantastic breadsticks. They were so good! I ended up with another migraine, which sucked, but at least it wasn't totally debilitating. She made tarts in record time that afternoon. They were as yummy as ever! We went to the women's broadcast that night. I would have enjoyed it more if my head wasn't hurting but I made do. We went to church on Sunday. It was kind of fun to be able to go with family again. The student wards are so quiet! It was kind of comforting to hear children screaming at church the whole time. :) Aunt Elaine made Sunday dinner: roast and mashed potatoes, which are my favorite!!! It was so delicious! I made it back to Logan by about six o'clock last night. The traffic wasn't bad so I made really good time.
Lots of love and Bubble Gum Aggie Ice Cream,
Carlie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carlie,

Please be careful on I15. It seems to be full of crazy people. Love hearing from you.