Another week down! It feels good! Labor Day weekend was pretty quiet around campus. There weren't many people around. Aunt Elaine brought Mom up to Logan before she had to catch a plane back to Boise, which pretty much made my week. It was so fun to get to go out to lunch with them and see them for a couple of hours. Monday evening was actually pretty fun. All of our roommates except one was home, so we all just crammed into our living room and watched a movie. It was fun! It was the first time that so many of us had been together. Britney's boyfriend, Chase, and Stacey's friend, Tim were there too. Since they're both pretty common staples around our apartment, it was only fitting that they be there with all of us.
Classes this week picked up a little bit. Sociology is still fairly basic, but the pace is picking up. I've gotten through the assigned chapters up until yesterday. My textbook and I will be spending some quality time together this weekend. I had my first quiz in Business Statistics yesterday. I felt fairly confident on it; I know I missed the answer on one of the problems but I know the basic theory was right, so that'll at least get me some points. We're just studying probability right now. It's not terribly difficult, but I haven't had to deal with that at all for several years. It's been a bit of a challenge retraining my brain after so many years of calculus. Chemistry is still a basic review of high school concepts, just at a faster pace. I can't complain, since I certainly understand it all. Creative Arts makes me laugh. The class is ENORMOUS, with over 800 people in it. This higher altitude is certainly catching up with me. I have ten minutes to sprint clear across campus from Chemistry to the Fine Arts building. Winded doesn't quite begin to describe how I feel when I finally get there. The class is pretty fun though. Stacey takes the honors version of the class, so we're going to the required plays and performances together. This week we have to go to "High School Musical," not one of my favorite productions of all time, but I'll deal with it. My Honors class is my favorite by far. It's title is Race and Communication in the USA and Africa, but that takes too long to type, so I'll just call it Race Relations. The professor has spent a lot of time in Africa and has so much knowledge about life there. He and his wife are whiter than I am, and they've adopted children of many different races. His wife came in to speak on Thursday about their experience in South Africa and they brought their youngest son Mo with them. He's black. Hearing about their experiences in post-Apartheid South Africa was incredible. It's amazing how prevalent those attitudes still are. Mo, 11 at the time, would get into sticky situations easily because of the color of his skin, but if his parents were around, it wouldn't be as bad. Dr. Eastmond's wife, Irene, told a funny story of an experience she'd had in a middle-class black neighborhood in South Africa. She had made fast friends with a lady there, and they decided to plant some flowers in the lady's yard. As they were planting, the black lady took a quick break and was standing up watching while Irene continued planting in the ground. A group of neighborhood girls walked by absolutely cracking up. Though speaking in their native Xhosa, it was obvious to Irene what they were saying: something along the lines of "She has a WHITE gardener! Now the roles have been reversed!" It was a funny story, but definitely illustrated the disparities still existing in their society. This week I finished a book for that class. It was called "Kaffir Boy" by Mark Mathabe. It was absolutely in phenomenal. The first half was hard to get through because of the horrible things the young man had to go through, but the story was so incredible. Once again, it's not for the faint of heart, but definitely worth a look.
This week brought some fun with it, too. on Thursday night Stacey and I went to the Honors Opening Social. By the time we got there, most of the food was gone. The whole thing was looking like kind of a bust until one of the honors leaders came by screaming in our ears, "GO PLAY KISSING RUGBY!" I was immediately skeptical and cold besides, but Stacey suggested we at least try it. I finally caved. It actually turned out to be so much fun. The guys were given letters and the girls numbers, with one person, guy or girl, in the middle. The caller would call out a letter and a number so that both a guy and girl were in play. If a girl was in the middle, the object was for the guy to kiss her on the cheek before the other girl kissed him on the cheek. The loser of the guy and girl whose letters and numbers were called were then in the middle. The person in the middle couldn't get up and run but had to crawl away. It was absolutely hilarious. Stacey got smacked pretty good and has a cut on her nose now that is a major source of irritation to her. I ended up accidentally backhanding a couple of guys. Woops. No means no!!! :) I figured out my best strategy when I was in the middle was to let the guy get really close and then move out of the way so he basically did a backflip over me. When I was doing the chasing, it was best to just jump on their backs and get them from behind. That was only effective if he wasn't too tall. Too bad for me. Haha.
Yesterday, Friday, was probably my favorite day all week. After classes yesterday afternoon, I came home and cleaned. I was suffering residual stress from my stats quizz, and when I get stressed I often either bake or clean. Baking isn't really an option here, so I cleaned. I finally found a vacuum and got my bedroom and our living room cleaned up. I cleaned the bathroom too, which now sparkles after a thorough bleach cleaning. Stacey was sitting there laughing at me the whole time and says when she's stressed she shops. Since I'm a college student i figured that wasn't the best idea. She really wanted to shop though, so Stacey, Christa, Kristen and I headed into downtown Logan. We stopped at Downeast Basics and Stacey got clothes. I just liked sitting on the really soft couches. We went to the mall next and spent at least a half hour in Claires so Stacey and Christa could get some earrings. Then we stopped at Bath and Body Works. There was a sale on wallflowers, so I picked up one for our living room. It smells soooo good! It's pumpkin spice or something like that and it makes the whole place feel so homey. I love it! That's the first thing people notice when they walk in the door now. The only downside is it smells like pumpkin pie so it makes me hungry. We went to "Mamma Mia" after our mall excursion. Christa and I had seen it over Labor Day weekend, but I was definitely up for seeing it again. We all loved it! When I got out of the movie I got a text from Chris Childers, a good friend back home, saying that he was in Logan for a bike race. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. He wasn't sure of his plans for the eve
ning, so I told him to keep me posted so I could see him. The girls and I went to dinner at the Aggie Marketplace and then headed back to the apartment and watched a movie on TV. About 8:30 Chris texted me and said he was at his hotel. I jumped in my car and went over to see him. It absolutely made my week. His dad and grandparents were there and I got to talk to them for a minute too, but I loved getting to see Chris and talk to him for a while. It was like getting a shot of home. His race started at 7:00 this morning, and I considered getting up to see him start, but then I decided I really wanted some sleep. About 11:00 last night, the fire alarm went off at our apartment. I was already in my pajamas and grabbed the closest pair of shoes I could find: black high heels. Haha. The campus police came and tried to figure out what was going on. Someone had been cooking something and it was burning pretty badly. No one owned up to it. At least it wasn't very cold outside last night, and we didn't have to wait outside for very long.
This weekend will be finding me doing quite a bit of homework. Stacey's going skydiving with Tim this afternoon, so it'll be fun to hear about that adventure when she gets back. I think Kacee and I are going to try to meet up for a study break sometime later today as well. Hope this finds you doing well.
Lots of love and Aggie Lemon Custard Ice Cream,
Carlie
No comments:
Post a Comment